Thursday, June 30, 2011

Joburg...cont'd....and ended...

I have always found it strange to talk about the weather...like there's nothing more to talk about than that which is right in front of your eyes. However, I must say that the weather has continued to be absolutely lovely (and don't worry...I have much more to say!). I have yet to see a cloud, which has been quite a bit of a change from Ohio. I'm thankful for the warm weather thus far, as I'm dreading the significantly colder weather I'll be facing for the next 2 weeks in Lesotho.

My time in Johannesburg has almost run out. I will be heading out shortly to enjoy some nightlife tonight before leaving for Lesotho bright and early tomorrow (Friday) morning. Although I'm enjoying my time immensely, I'm ready to leave Joburg and experience more of what I consider to be "traditional" Africa. I know that traditional is not a popular word, as traditions are constantly evolving and changing, but for lack of a better description, traditional Africa is what I came to see. I'm ready to be immersed in the culture of those who have resisted globalization and Westernization, those who still live off the land and those who bask in the natural beauty of their earth. I'm ready to be away from skyscrapers, malls and everything else that I can see in any U.S. city. I'm ready for Lesotho.







Most of what we've been doing in Joburg has been very touristy. Tourism is not the purpose of the trip, however we have been given these opportunities in Joburg for 2 reasons. First, it's important for us to experience the best and worst parts of South Africa in order for us to fully understand the vast gaps that continue to plague the country. Joburg certainly falls under the category of best and I'll soon be visiting the worst. Second, this area is a good place to adjust to Africa. It's very similar to any major city, but you can still "see Africa" in certain parts of the city. It's been a good transition point and has prevented us from suffering from any major culture shock.

So....on to what I've been doing. We've been VERY busy with an extremely packed schedule. My legs are very sore from all the walking, but it's free and easy exercise so I'm trying not to complain too much ;). Tuesday was a museum day. We went to The Museum of Africa, which can be described by the name itself. I saw a wonderful exhibit on political cartoons (which I will definitely use in my classroom) as well as great exhibits on the geography and geology of Africa, the use of child labor, the gay and lesbian community in South Africa and workers rights. We also visited a place called The Bus Factory, which was actually more of an art factory. It was full of art studios, art classes and even children's art workshops. It was a beautiful place full of beautiful contemporary African creations. Afterwards, we visited the Voortrekker Monument, which is the monument commemorating the arrival of the white Europeans (or, in my opinion, commemorating the domination of an entire race and culture). Because of my feelings toward the idea behind the memorial, I walked through it quickly then gathered a couple of adventurous fellow travelers and went on a little safari. We hiked through the woods and found what we were looking for....animals! Although I was bummed about not finding a zebra, I was excited to find my first wild, African animals. We found both kudu and springbok, as well as meerkats and crazy birds. That was the highlight of my day!

The Museum of Africa












The Bus Factory












The Voortrekker Monument






Kudu






Springbok






My view on the adventure






Wednesday was an emotional day. We started the day at the Apartheid Museum. For those of you who don't know what Apartheid was, let's just say it was South Africa's version of segregation and the civil rights movement on steroids. It has even been compared to the Holocaust. It was very violent, very deadly and very, very sad. The Apartheid Museum detailed Apartheid from start to finish and was very difficult to process both emotionally and mentally. The museum ended with an exhibit on Nelson Mandela, South Africa's first black president who ended Apartheid, so at least it ended on a positive note.

























After the Apartheid Museum, we headed to Soweto, which is the world's largest slum. During Apartheid, all black and colored Africans were sent to Soweto (or one of the neighboring districts) in order to keep them out of the white areas. Soweto is known as the most deadly district during Apartheid, as well as the home of Nelson Mandela. Although Apartheid is over, and has been for 20 years, Soweto continues to be the place that the poorest South Africans call home. There are about 4 million people living in Soweto, which has an area of only 157 km, which comes out to about 25,000 people per km. Most Sowetans are living off of the money they make selling crafts at the market, selling drugs, committing crimes or begging white tourists for a few Rand (the South African dollar). While there are some houses in the area, most people live in shacks made of whatever scraps found, including car parts, trash bags, scrap metal and wood, etc. The ground was covered in trash, human waste and live electrical wires. Yet, nearly every person I saw had a smile on their face and opened their hearts to us white, American tourists. Words can't express the emotions I felt as the tears fell down my face while walking down the street or looking out of the bus window. So instead of trying to describe those feelings, I hope you can get a sense of my feelings through my photos.





























































Very, VERY difficult to process.....

Thursday, our final full day in Joburg, was an art day. We went to the Joburg Art Gallery (which is actually the city art museum) as well as a few small art galleries in the Art Main District. There was an optional discussion with an art gallery curator that I decided not to attend, and instead finished this blog and my packing. Tonight some of us are planning to check out some of Joburg's bars and nightclubs for the first, and obviously last time.

As I said, Joburg has been great, but I'm ready to move on. We have an 8 hour bus ride to Morija, Lesotho tomorrow where we will be for the next 2 weeks. We will most likely not have Internet access there, so don't expect any more blog posts for awhile, but DO expect a very large one in a few weeks :)

Peace and love from Africa.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Johannesburg, South Africa

No comments:

Find me here, and speak to me
I want to feel you, I need to hear you
You are the light that's leading me to the place
Where I find peace again.